Where is the coconut producing area? Which island in Indonesia produces the most coconuts? Where is the biggest coconut producer in Indonesia? That is a question that often arises among readers regarding the largest coconut-producing island in Indonesia, including the largest coconut-producing province in Indonesia.
Indonesia is the largest coconut producing country in the world. The largest coconut producer in Indonesia is spread over a number of areas.
The largest coconut producing area is Riau. The information was quoted from the Coconut Plantation Commodity Outlook Book published by the Ministry of Agriculture (Kementan) in 2020. From the book, it was revealed that Riau is the largest center of deep coconut and hybrid coconut production in Indonesia. Apart from Riau, which are also the largest coconut producing areas are a number of provinces in Sulawesi.
Coconut producing areas in Indonesia
In more detail, the centers of deep coconut production in Indonesia for the last five years (2016-2020) are spread across several provinces as follows:
- North Sulawesi
- East Java
- North Maluku
- Central Sulawesi
Riau Province contributed the largest production of deep coconut in Indonesia at 11.92 percent.
This achievement was followed by North Sulawesi (9.33 percent), East Java (9.17 percent), North Maluku (7.95 percent) and Central Sulawesi (6.77 percent). The remaining 54.86 percent is a contribution from other provinces. Riau was the province with the largest production of deep coconut in Indonesia in 2018. Deep coconut in Riau Province is only controlled by smallholder plantations, and none is controlled by large state plantations and large private plantations. The main centers of deep coconut production in Riau are in 5 districts. The district with the most deep coconut production is Indragiri Hilir Regency with a production contribution of 82.46 percent of the total coconut production in Riau Province. Other deep coconut producing districts are Meranti Islands Regency (8.93 percent), Pelalawan Regency (4.74 percent), Bengkalis Regency (1.01 percent), and Rokan Hilir Regency (1.31 percent). While the remaining 1.54 percent is a contribution from other districts.
Hybrid coconut production center in Indonesia
Hybrid coconut production centers in Indonesia for the last five years (2016-2020) were dominated by 5 provinces, namely:
2. South Sulawesi
3. Central Sulawesi
4. Southeast Sulawesi
5. West Sulawesi
Riau Province which gave the largest contribution to hybrid coconut production with a contribution of 72.18 percent. Riau’s achievements were followed by South Sulawesi (6.61 percent), Central Sulawesi (4.38 percent), Southeast Sulawesi (3.80 percent) and West Sulawesi (3.59 percent). The five provinces contribute 90.55 percent to Indonesia’s total hybrid coconut production. The remaining 9.45 percent is a contribution from other provinces. Riau is also the province’s largest production center for hybrid coconut. Hybrid coconut in Riau Province is controlled by smallholder plantations and large private plantations.
In 2018, hybrid coconut production in Riau was contributed by 3 districts, namely Indragiri Hilir Regency, Kuantan Singingi Regency, and Indragiri Hulu Regency. Indragiri Hilir Regency gave the largest contribution at 98.66 percent to total hybrid coconut production in Riau, followed by Kuantan Singingi Regency (1.32 percent) and Indragiri Hulu Regency (0.01 percent). That’s information about the largest coconut producing province in Indonesia. Thus, the largest coconut producing area is Riau.